Saturday, September 4, 2010

Day 24

Wow, it’s been 24 days since my operation. The days seemed to pass so slowly in the beginning and even more so after I passed the 2 week mark, but now they seem to be flying.

There hasn’t been much change today, except that I took off both elastics to eat breakfast for the first time ever. I was scared that my jaw was going to feel like it was going to fall off (like Graham), but I actually had difficulty getting my mouth to open at first. My teeth were suctioned into the bite splint and made this smacking sound when they came apart. I also tried to see how my teeth came together when they weren’t held by elastics. They seem to be doing fairly well on their own. I’m really hoping that this is a good sign that I’ll get the stupid splint out in the next appointment. If not, I’m trying to remind myself that it’ll only be another week afterwards.

I’m going to include these videos of Roger Ebert on the Oprah show today, because they were so inspirational to me during the early days of my surgery. He was diagnosed with thyroid cancer a few years ago and lost the ability to talk and eat after an operation. Despite that, he’s got such an optimistic outlook on life and has proven that you don’t have to have a voice to make yourself heard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment