Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Day 29


I ate pho today for dinner. I guess I should say dinner #1, as I’m still hungry. I cut the noodles until they were very short and then slurped it up.  I attempted to chew some of the longer noodles and found that they mostly got stuck in a crevice between my cheek and my teeth.

There’s this program on TV that investigates various segments of society and one of today’s topics was the rise in what’s called V-line surgeries. I mentioned this briefly, but there are a number of girls here who are obsessed with having smaller faces. I’m not too sure of the exact procedure but it involves breaking the jaw and shaving off some of the sides? and possibly shortening of the chin. Either way, the recovery is similar to what I’m going through. 

Watching it made me angry, as I think you’ve got to be five sides of stupid to undergo something as torturous as this for the sake of something so subjective as beauty. (If you judge by some tribes in Africa, elongated ears are considered beautiful, but you won’t catch me sticking objects in my earlobes.) Both girls who were lying next to me in the recovery room had procedures done for purely aesthetic reasons. Though I was too weak at the time to voice my opinion, if I saw them again, I’d slap both of them across the face. Except maybe the girl on my right because she gave me this delicious and sweet pumpkin juice. I’m easily won over by food.

No comments:

Post a Comment